Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Drugs Theme

     A thematic statement for the book, JDATE (John Dies At The End), is that when a person does drugs, terrible consequences might follow. In the novel, the beginning of David's story is when he and John take the Soy Sauce drug and becomes addicted to the deadly, black substance that burrows into them. Almost instantly, they start their journey filled with lots of problems, violence, and death. One example of a consequence from the drug is that John overdoses and dies the next day. Also, David gets "side effects" which causes him have crazy physic powers. This might seem really cool to you, but he describes them as horrible effects that make him go insane and last forever. David Wong could never go back to his earlier, simpler life, even if it was so boring and depressing.

He Drifts To Another Dimension And Is Feeling
Insane And Paranoid


Wong Accidentally Injects Soy Sauce Into His Veins









     
     This theme relates to real life because the Soy Sauce can be symbolized by a real, harmful, and dangerous drug like cocaine, crystal meth, or ecstasy. When an addict takes these drugs in the real life, many consequences happen. They could become a completely different person: unsocial, lazy, crazed, violent, unhygienic, and many other terrible traits. Drugs also cause relationships to be torn apart and can cause potentially great lives to be ruined. A text to text comparison I made is from JDATE to Breaking Bad. When John takes the drug in the story, he dies and Dave is traumatized.  This ruined their lives and relationship just like in one of my favorite TV shows, Breaking Bad, where Walter White becomes a crystal meth cook and slowly destroys his family and relationships of everyone he loves. This is why this thematic statement is an underlying theme for JDATE and other stories alike.






8 comments:

  1. like how you used pictures and really went into description, so......rad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you used so much detail in describing the theme. I also like how you had so many pictures that I could get a good feel for what the book is like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comparison to breaking bad, is what I believe to be a very good one having some insight on it. But this book seems very intriguing, its seems like something I would enjoy reading. But I have 2 questions, one, can the monsters he is seeing hurt him? Two, how did the drug get its name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the monsters can hurt Dave and the first "monster" he encounters is an invisible police officer whose mustache flaps off his face and bites him. Also, the drug got its name just by being a brown liquid.

      Delete
  4. I really like how you addded pictures to your blog. It really helped me understand what the book was like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great book man it was, like Jacob said, rad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you described the theme and referenced breaking bad

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to read this book. It sounds like it is very comical and has a good plot.

    ReplyDelete