Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Strong Beginning

     The most important line of the first chapter of Fight Club is: "Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler's pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die." This is also the first sentence of the book, which emphasizes it quite a bit more and makes it more memorable. Right off the bat, Palahniuk shocks the reader with this impacting line to showcase Tyler's personality. He is evil. Well, he turns evil because at the beginning of the narrator's story, he explains that they were best friends. This really engaged me from the beginning. I couldn't shake it from my mind because it kind of gave me chills. The author reaches out from the book and slaps the reader across the face, which really grabs their attention. I think this is a very strong and powerful beginning that I don't find in most books. Hopefully there will be more of these WOAH moments throughout the book to make it a very enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment